GPS Receiver module kit, including patch antenna.
This is a kit for a GPS receiver that uses the popular Mediatek chipset. The Mediatek chipset provides exceptionally high sensitivity and timing accuracy (10ns rms). The kit features a large PCB, specifically to provide a large ground-plane that provides 4.5dBic gain relative to a 30 x 30mm ground-plane. Most GPS modules with inbuilt patch antenna are even smaller than this. The kit has a 3.3V voltage regulator onboard and level converter to 5V logic levels. It may be connected directly to QRP Labs kits such as the Ultimate3S QRSS/WSPR transmitter without any pullup resistors or other components. Three LEDs provide visual indication of status.
The RF module is pre-soldered to the PCB during manufacture. All other components of the kit are through-hole leaded components and easy to solder.
The GPS receiver has the following features and advantages relative to a ready-built GPS module:
1) Fun and educational kit
2) higher sensitivity of built-in patch antenna, due to large PCB ground plane
3) Has onboard power / data / 1pps LEDs for an immediate visual indication of what is going on.
4) Built-in patch antenna, but also provides facility for SMA connector for external active antenna if preferred
5) Proper level conversion for use with 5V systems, not just pull-up resistors
6) Larger connection pads with 0.1-inch pitch, suitable for easy wire soldering or pin headers
7) all components already on-board, no need for anything other than wire, for connection to QRP Labs kits (and others)
8) Low cost