The "QCX=mini" (QRP Labs Xcvr - mini): a feature-packed, high performance, single band 5W CW transceiver kit with WSPR beacon and built-in alignment and test equipment. It is designed specifically for portable operations where small size, weight and current consumption are all important (see Special portable-friendly features section, below). Available for 160, 80, 60, 40, 30, 20 or 17m bands. Experimental use on 15, 12, 10 or 6m (lower power output and reduced sensitivity). For complete details see http://qrp-labs.com/qcxmini
The yellow/green LCD has a backlight which can be switched on/off via the menu system or double-clicking the rotary encoder shaft button. This provides current consumption savings; furthermore, low-current operational amplifier ICs have been used, resulting in a Receive current of only 58mA (12V supply, backlight off). The LCD is daylight and even SUNLIGHT readable without the backlight.
Assembled transceiver: This product is available as an assembled, calibrated, adjusted and tested radio or as a KIT. Assembled transceiver orders are built to order and please expect some waiting time (see above). If you order the TCXO or AGC options in the same order, it will be installed in the transceiver and calibrated by us. If you order the enclosure option in the same order, we will install the transceiver into the enclosure. Any other options will be delivered as KITS not assembled tested items.
The Optional enclosure is black anodized extruded aluminium, very sturdy and elegant. The enclosure size is 95 x 673 x 25mm without protrusions. The top and side panels are drilled and cut to match the QCX-mini with laser-etched lettering. The enclosure includes four self-adhesive feet.
Optional 25MHz TCXO module is pictured above (diagram only, as yet). In tests, the frequency change over the range 4C to 65C was +/- 0.25 ppm (parts per million). This is a tiny 14.8 x 10.5mm PCB with TCXO, SMD all ready-assembled, which is installed onto the main QCX-mini PCB in place of the 27MHz crystal and 0.1uF capacitor C2. The TCXO gives very good frequency stability if you intend to use WSPR operation, where frequency drift is critical. It is highly recommended for WSPR operation, particularly if you are using a 17m or 20m radio.
Hard-copy assembly instructions are not included in the kit. You need to download the assembly and operating instructions manual from http://qrp-labs.com/qcxmini
Note: The QCX-mini transceiver is always shipped with the latest firmware version available at the date of shipment.
Note: the optional GPS receiver module kit is very useful if you wish to operate this kit as a WSPR beacon (it disciplines frequency, time, and Maidenhead Locator grid square). It is also useful for calibrating the transceiver kit, to get the synthesiser reference oscillator precisely calibrated (resulting in accurate transmit/receive frequency).
An optional 50W PA kit is available, which also has an optional enclosure. This 50W PA kit will give your QCX an extra boost for those occasions when you need a bit more power - to work a particular station for a regular sked when conditions are bad; to deal with our bad band conditions these days; to work a particular DX staiton, etc etc. The 50W PA kit includes solid state Tx/Rx switching for full break-in (QSK) operation. The kit includes heatsinks and connectors as well as the PCB and all components. See http://qrp-labs.com/50wpa for more details.
QCX-series radios do not have AGC built-in. An AGC module is listed as an option.
Special portable-friendly features:
- Small size: 95 x 63 x 25mm enclosure (plus protusions)
- Low current consumption (for example 58mA receive current, with 12V supply and display backlight off)
- Low weight, 202 grams
- Sturdy extruded aluminium enclousre
- All-metal BNC short connector, bolted to enclosure
List of features:
- Easy to build, two-board design, board with main circuit and connectors, display panel board with LCD; all-controls board-mounted on a press-out sub-board. No wiring, all controls and connectors are board-mounted
- Professional quality double-sided, through-hole plated, silk-screen printed PCBs
- Choice of single band, 160, 80, 60, 40, 30, 20 or 17m
- Approximately 3-5W CW output (depending on supply voltage)
- 7-14V recommended supply voltage
- Class E power amplifier, transistors run cool…
- 7-element Low Pass Filter ensures regulatory compliance
- CW envelope shaping to remove key clicks
- High performance receiver with at least 50dB of unwanted sideband cancellation
- 200Hz CW filter with no ringing
- Si5351A Synthesized VFO with rotary encoder tuning
- 16 x 2 yellow/green backlight LCD screen
- Iambic keyer or straight key option included in the firmware
- Simple Digital Signal Processing assisted CW decoder, displayed real-time on-screen
- On-screen S-meter
- On-screen real time clock (not battery backed up)
- Full or semi QSK operation using fast solid-state transmit/receive switching
- Frequency presets, VFO A/B Split operation, RIT, configurable CW Offset
- Configurable sidetone frequency and volume
- Connectors: 2.1mm power barrel connector, 3.5mm keyer jack, 3.5mm stereo earphone jack, 3.5mm stereo jack for PTT, 3.5mm stereo jack for CAT control, BNC RF output
- Built-in test signal generator and alignment tools to complete simple set-up adjustments
- Built-in test equipment: voltmeter, RF power meter, frequency counter, signal generator
- Beacon mode, supporting automatic CW, FSKCW or WSPR operation
- GPS interface for reference frequency calibration and time-keeping (for WSPR beacon)
- CAT control interface
- Optional 50W PA kit
- Optional aluminium extruded cut/drilled/laser-etched black anodized enclosure
NOTE: 18-Dec-2021: The ATmega328 chip is now unobtainable at any distributors, due to the global semiconductor shortage. We have managed to obtain stock to be able to continue offering this item, however, the price was very high and this has necessitated a temporary price increase of $2.79 which is currently included in the price of this item.
QCX-mini 5W CW transceiver
- Product Code: QCXMINI
- Availability: 277